Improved athletic capability. Labor, wetworks. Strength.
- Symbol: Crow in flight.
- Bonus: Higher stat limit.
- Weakness: Killing machine.
Tissue replacement/regeneration/resuscitation. Dexterity/Stamina. Stem is the strain most closely related to the Ancestor; it was the first stable strain to develop and retains the Ancestor’s powerful regenerative properties.
- Symbol: A branch, half broken, half in leaf.
- Nickname: Salamanders.
- Bonus: Regeneration. Healing is more advanced and tissues can even grow back (limbs easier than organs). At advanced Synergy even total reconstitution is possible, though not without side effects.
- Weakness: The close relation between Stem and the Ancestor makes them more prone to Fugue; players roll to resist at -2.
Body control: shapeshifting build, autonomic control build. Intel, including long-term, remote, and/or covert ops. Stamina/Composure.
- Symbol: Waves.
- Weakness: Identity crisis. The integration of a Proteus severs her from her original self-image. Her memories remain but they feel as if they happened to someone else. Her opinions and attitudes are wholly new; any resemblance they might bear to her old self are coincidental. In some ways this is worse than amnesia; she knows how she once felt about those who loved (and hated) her, but now they are like strangers or characters in a book. She can choose to fake her way through her old life, but sooner or later most Proteus cut all ties and start over.
Nootropic improvement. External interface (port) build, R&D build. Analysis, tactical/force multiplier. Intelligence/Wits. This strain only integrates with juveniles.
- Nickname: Brainchildren; Neverlanders.
- Bonus: Higher stat limit.
- Weakness: Integration at a young age causes abnormalities in brain development. This is not usually as severe as the effects of environmental hazards or drugs; instead the effect tends to be more subtle. All Pan are in some way still children; their integration has preserved some aspect of juvenile thought even as their overall mental faculties accelerate beyond peak adult performance. System: Each Pan’s Vice is a form of negative behavior common to children (e.g. unwillingness to share, a need for instant gratification, inability to cope with being thwarted, over-reliance on others).
Teleportation/spatial abilities. Vector Technologies.
- Symbols: Spear. Drinking horn.
- Bonus: Superior tracking abilities.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks—those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, “Thus Spoke Zarathustra”
Utility fog. Conversion: Matter transformation build, fabrication build. Intelligence.
- Symbol: Cog. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djed
- Bonus: All Ptah have an intrinsic understanding of the inner workings of machines at all levels of complexity. Their understanding of nanotechnology is unrivaled. Each Ptah starts with a Crafts specialty and can study technology to know how it works, giving them superior skill at repairing, shutting down, or sabotaging even the most unfamiliar tech.